AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
J Allegrini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 12:36:49 -0400
John,
In the libraries in which I have worked they have always had and explain on
their information pages etc. that the library staff are responsible to assist
people in finding information and the rudiments of the software/hardware used
to do that.  They are not expected to be experts in all of the software that
is provided for public use (they offer a fair amount). I tend to agree with
this approach.  Libraries in which I have worked also have a general timeframe
of assistance for all patrons and are more than willing to follow up with
individualized assistance if the time limit is exceeded.  While this time
limit may be realistically enlarged with people who have unique needs, whether
they be learning to use the screen reader or are at a complete standstill in
their genealogical research, I think a time-frame is a realistic service
parameter, especially if you have ever been in a library right before school
projects are due.

With this in mind, staff are trained in the basic keyboard commands and
overall functioning of software provided specifically for accessibility.
There tends to be a general level of technological comfort and problem-solving
among public service staff.

You also mentioned that the person taking the class was not familiar with that
software.  If would wonder if there aren't some general commands that would be
transferrable or if the staff couldn't have at least fairly quickly and easily
found the command notes/quick start guides that generally come with software.

Finally, I think all registrations should allow for the question "do you need
any special assistance to be able to participate in the program" especially
after the person has registered.

===== Original Message From "Library Access -- http://www.rit.edu/~easi"
>This is a situation, based on a call I received, that I would like to put
>out to the list for some discussion.
>
>A public library offers a beginning class in the use of Microsoft Word. An
>individual who is blind signs up for the class. The library does not know
>that the individual is blind until she shows up for the class. They do
>however have a computer with screen reading software and make it available
>to her for the class.
>
>There is a problem however, the individual is not familiar with this
>particular screen reading software and there is no one available in the
>library that an really teach her how to use it. After some discussion, the
>library offers to provide training in the use of the screen reading software
>at a local organization that serves persons who are blind. The problem here
>is that this location is in another part of town and transportation to the
>location is a problem.
>
>There may be an additional problem that has yet to come up. When the patron
>learns to use the screen reading software will the library staff teaching
>this beginning class know how to access Word using all the keyboard
>commands?
>
>My question...what is reasonable for the library to provide? It has been my
>experience that many libraries that offer assistive technology do not have
>staff trained to support the patrons who need to use it. This situation
>pushes that concern a bit further.
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>John
>--