AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ellen Perlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 12:15:46 -0600
Dear Everyone:

I will be at CSUN all next week.  I have information for the vendors for
paticipating at both the brand new Texas Library Association Accessibility
Pavilion and what ALA Accessibility Pavilion.  I will do my best to get the
word out and utilize promotion of the ALA ASCLA Century Scholarship Diversity
Initiative to do so.   I of course will be distributing information, bookmarks,
and brochures - also in alternative formats - about the ALA ASCLA Century
Scholarship Diversity Initiative.  As we await news about our 2002 Scholar[s],
we are recruiting for 2003 and beyond.   Century Scholars are able to use the
scholarship funds to attend conferences, such as ALA, CSUN, etc. .

I believe that we should incorporate your idea, Sarah, into/as part of the
independently-funded ASCLA Century Scholarship Diversity Initiative
(http://www.ala.org/ascla/centuryscholarship.html) which already has wide name
recognition.  P.S. If vendors - or any one else - wishes to contribute to the
ASCLA Century Scholarship (this NOT a solicitation, but simply a point of
information: check to ASCLA earmarked for the ASCLA Century Scholarship), then
we will have more money and opportunities to give Century Scholarships - that
can be used for ALA conference attendance, etc. - to many more people.

I have attended CSUN every year since March 2000 and have distributed publicity
and have spoken with vendors about supporting - though not necessarily
monetarily, the ASCLA Century Scholarship Diversity Initiative: perhaps by
providing internships/jobs for [potential] Century Scholars, distributing
Century information to interested parties, relatives, friends. ...

The ALA Development Office, through which - as Audrey pointed out - requests
for seeking funding sources in ALA  must pass -  already is VERY MUCH aware and
NON-monetarily supportive of the independently-funded ALA ASCLA Century
Scholarship.  The ALA ASCLA Century Scholarship is a scholarship which also
benefits from people buying tickets/attending the ALA Annual Scholarship Bash
(thanks to some advocacy with Ann Symons). Thanks to continual promotion within
ALISE and programs since 2000 at ALISE Conferences, and promotion to LIS
programs individually, the ALA ASCLA Century Scholarship is very well known in
the LIS Education community.  I understand that there has been excellent
response as far as applications for the 2002 ASCLA Century Scholarship. As
Chair of the ASCLA Century Scholarship Committee, I have received a number of
inquiries.  The word IS getting out.  And there are many Century Scholarship
applicants, even though they may not win Century Scholarships, who wish to join
and will join and become active in ASCLA/ ASCLA LSSPS. [Our second Century
Scholar (2001) Simon Healey already is running for an LSSPS office.]

We also can look to facilitating the establishment of matching Century
Scholarships in our own state library associations, libraries/worksites, LIS
programs, etc.  as already has been accomplished by the Texas Library
Association - http://www.txla.org/html/awards/scholar/century.html (with the
help of my TALL Texan advocacy) and Brooklyn Public Library (thank you to our
Brooklyn Public ASCLA Advocates, Elizabeth Ridler and Jo Ann Radioli!) Many
thanks to Dean Estabrook of the University of Illinois GSLIS Program, the alma
mater  of our #1 Century Scholar Rebecca Van Scyoc,  who facilitated tyjhe
establishment of a matching Century Scholarship ("Diversity is Diversity is
Diversity"), doing for Century what they did for the ALA-funded Spectrum
Scholarship.  All LIS programs have been encouraged to follow Illinois GSLIS's
lead.  This is a good avenue to pursue  because all LIS programs are interested
in having their own students become active in professional associations, LIS
students like to be able to place such involvement on their resumes, and
"professional activities" is an area on which LIS professionals are evaluated.

My recommendation: incorporate your initiative under the umbrella of the ALA
ASCLA Century Scholarship Diversity Initiative.

----------------

P.S.  I invite everyone attending CSUN 2002 to my program "A for Accessibility:
Positive Wins Every Time."  Wednesday, March 20, 2002, 9:20-10:20 am, Newport B
Room-LAX Hilton Hotel. Please see: http://twu.edu/~s_perlow/csun2002.html
(handouts available via this webpage).   Handouts also will be available at the
conference/ or otherwise by request in
alternative formats: Braille, Large Print, Electronic/Text-Only Format.

----------------------
Ellen Perlow
Chair, ALA ASCLA Century Scholarship Committee
The ALA ASCLA Century Scholarship Diversity Initiative
"Celebrating a New Century that Celebrates Diversity"
http://www.ala.org/ascla/centuryscholarship.html
Annual Submission Deadline: March 1st. Now recruiting for 2003!
See Also: ALA HRDR Page: http://www.ala.org/hrdr/scholarship.html
Texas Century Scholarship: http://www.txla.org/html/awards/scholar/century.html
Have YOU recruited/applied to be a Century Scholarship applicant today?
Manager of Information Services
School of Library and Information Studies
Texas Woman's University
P.O. Box 425438
Denton, TX 76204-5438
Tel.: 940-898-2622  Fax: 940-898-2611