AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Denise Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jun 2009 23:51:23 +0930
Hello Katherine

Although I am not visually impaired myself, I am a researcher undertaking a national funded research project, which involves developing an accessible 3D virtual learning environment. As part of that research we have been interviewing people with disabilities in virtual worlds such as Second Life, and investigating "in-world" accessibility options.

I can connect you up via e-mail with the two sisters (one of whom is legally blind and the other visually impaired) who have worked with the programmer, the same programmer working on our project, on the virtual guide dog project if you would like. They are very helpful, and as visually impaired users themselves can probably give you more idea than someone like myself who understands the technology and have used it myself, but is not themselves disabled. The guide dog essentially responds to the chat window on the screen - if you type a command to find an object or avatar it will detect them within a reasonable radius and take you to the person or object. I don't know if they have tested it with windows eyes - they were using a tool called E.V.A. which is not reliant on screen readers - it is a self-contained in world chat text to voice tool.

There will be a Helen Keller day coming up in Second Life towards the end of June which will feature speakers and various events specifically aimed at assisting those with visual impairments.

I will post the information about the day to this listserv in case others are interested in attending. Do let me know if you want me to ask Louise and KC (their avatar names) to e-mail you for first-hand information about the guide-dog from a visually impaired user's perspective.

Cheers

Dr Denise Wood
Program Director (Media Arts)
Teaching and Learning Portfolio Leader