AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Audrey Gorman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Feb 2003 18:17:22 -0500
Alan,

I emphatically agree with Ellen on the point that "accessible computer
workstations" should be available to all, with priority given to people
with disabilities. The best parallel I can think of is seats on city
bus. Signs ask people to yield certain "priority seats" to people with
disabilities (PWDs) and senior citizens. At other times, indeed a fair
amount of the time, anyone can use the seats. Everyone can use and
benefit from the seats. Some of us just need them more. I don't see bus
companies getting themselves in a knot over who "should" or "should
not" make use of those seats. Users of public transportation would be
rightly outraged if those seats were always "off limits" unless one
could prove a disability.

It's good to see your library looking for reasonable and practical
solutions. I applaud your efforts. Maybe people who need extra time
might just be permitted "legally" to sign up for two time slots? Not
sure if that would work, or how, but it might be a temporary fix until
someone convinces the vendor that more flexibility is needed.

I believe, as I have for many years now, that all library workstations
should be at least minimally accessible. As we work together on that
goal, we need to let go of 19th century ghettoization of people with
disabilities. We (PWDs, yes I'm a member of "the class," as Ellen calls
it) want to be and are capable of being part of the mainstream of
society. Well-meaning people who try to reserve accessible workstations
solely for us are actually putting up a barrier to our full inclusion
as self-sufficient, useful human beings with contributions to make.

Restricting accessible computers to use by PWDs also cheats the rest of
the community. Yes, the solutions were invented first to "level the
playing field" for PWDs. But the finest solutions also make life easier
and better for other people. For example, voice recognition software is
both an essential tool for some PWDs and a general productivity tool.
Software designed for people with learning disabilities can also be a
powerful help for people who are learning English as a second language
or those in literacy programs.

Think about curb cuts at street intersections. They were mandated under
ADA specifically to help people who use mobility devices such as
wheelchairs and scooters. Who uses them? Parents with strollers. People
going to and from the supermarket or the laundromat with wheeled carts.
People with wheeled luggage (a whole industry that couldn't have
succeeded as wildly as it has before curb cuts). Me, when my arthritis
and bad knees make steps and curbs real barriers. Curb cuts are a
universal access solution.

This is a big change from the way PWDs have been treated in libraries
for a very long time. It will take us time to work through the
practicalities and come closer to our shared vision of access. The goal
makes the trip worth doing well.

I strongly urge any library that tries to "protect" people with
disabilities with proof requirements and usage restrictions to
reconsider. This is really all about equity of access for
everyone. "Equitable" doesn't mean "equal and the same in every way."
It does mean fair, with a large helping of common sense.

Warm regards,
Audrey

Audrey J. Gorman
Access for All
Naperville, IL
http://www.accessall.net

> 2/7/03
>
> Colleagues,
>
> (1) Have any of you had experience with requiring 'verification of
disability' for access to services, programs, and equipment in your
libraries that are aimed at serving disabled users?

> I have been looking at applications that require verification such as
ones for local services such as our paratransit program, applications
from other local libraries, and the one from the Braille and Talking
Book Library.  Please feel free to forward any of your applications to
me; they might help clarify.

> We are not interested in making disabled users jump through more
hoops, but we do want to ensure that they have access to computers that
serve their needs for adjustable tables, accessible software, and more
time to work.
> We also want to weed out any people who should not be using the
specially equipped computers; that is, for example, people who are not
disabled who simply want to get more time on the computer.

> (2) Specifically, because of the scarcity of computers in our
libraries, we are considering having some computers set aside
specifically for use by disabled users.  We also recognize that
computers standing idle and 'waiting' for disabled users may not be a
good idea in terms of the scarcity issue.

> We are looking at compromise scenarios that allow use of the
computers until disabled users need them or reserve them  ¯- we have a
reservation system in place.  For example, we could alternate use of
these computers between disabled patrons and 15-minute users (Express
users).

> We are also looking into allowing more time on other than these
specific computers for those users who need more time (our biggest
request so far for accommodation).  Unfortunately, the reservation
software programs do not seem to allow alternating different user types
on one computer; that is, alternating from a one-hour user to a two-
hour user and back again.

> Any suggestions on how to set up and implement a system of computer
use that provides accommodations and access without letting computers
sit idle would be greatly appreciated.

> Please feel free to answer me directly, or post to the list if others
are interested in this topic.

> Alan Bern, Special Services
> Berkeley Public Library
> 2090 Kittredge Street