AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
SCLS-TB+ Julie Klauber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 17:30:57 -0400
If you sit 57" away from the monitor, you will be almost five feet away from
it.  Unless you have verrrrrrrrry long hands or a verrrrrry long wire
connecting your keyboard to your monitor (and a nice-sized office), this
advice strikes me as pretty impractical.  How do you read (assuming you can
see the type from five feet away) and type at the same time?

I work with many people who have low vision and use computers, and many of
them move their heads very close to the monitor in order to see the screen,
especially when not using large print software.  This does not seem to be
problematic unless it is done for a sustained period of time, when they
complain of neck or back (not eye) strain.  Many low vision organization and
practitioners say that the concept of "sitting too close to a television
causes eyestrain"  is an old wives' tale.  Perhaps the same applies to
computer monitors and more contemporary old wives :-)

Julie Klauber