AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trevor Wilks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 09:46:39 +1100
Hi there,

In our adaptive technology centre we run both JAWS and Zoomtext extra level
2. They are used by different people with different needs. we never try and
run them together. This has never been an issue. An assessment should be
made as to which software best meets the needs of the user.

Trevor

At 17:10 29/02/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>About a month ago I posted a question about furniture and software we were
>tentatively planning to put in an adaptive technology lab in a new library.
>We were suggesting putting Jaws for Windows and ZoomText Extra Level 2 on
>our workstations.  I got one response that we might want to consider
>ZoomText Level 1if we are putting Jaws on the same workstation.  What's the
>collective wisdom on which would be a better combination of software?
>During a site visit to another library's adaptive technology lab, I made a
>note that ZoomText Extra and Jaws can't run simultaneously since they both
>use the same speech card.  If I remember correctly, that library purchased
>Jaws in addition to ZoomText Level 2 because it can voice text in dialogue
>boxes and highlighted buttons that ZoomText does not read.  If we did
>decide to downgrade the ZoomText software, how difficult is it to run
>ZoomText Level 1 and Jaws together?  Would we make things easier on our
>users to spring for the ZoomText Level 2?
>Thanks much!

>Leah Monger
>Head of Library Systems & Operations
>Abigail S. Timme Library
>Ferris State University
>1201 S. State St.
>Big Rapids, MI 49307
>(231)591-2947
>(231)592-3724 (fax)
>
>EASI's online workshop on accessible Web design,
>Barrier-free Web Design, begins Feb. 22.
>Making your Web pages accessible is the right thing to do,
>and it is the law.  For information, go to
>http://www.rit.edu/~easi and click on workshops.

Trevor Wilks - Manager
Adaptive Technology Centre
Student and Academic Services Division