AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Audrey Gorman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 1998 08:36:14 -0500
Thanks, John, for that list of good questions for libraries re
print-disabled users.  Sorry if I'm a bit late; I've had no access recently.

I'd like to encourage everyone to include people with dyslexia and other
reading disabilities when they discuss print-disabled users.  It's a new
notion for some, I know.  But I think we'll advance the cause of all
people with disabilities more effectively if we can show greater
usefulness for greater numbers of people.

This discussion will need to include the areas where accommodations
overlap and the areas where some "fixes" are mutually exclusive.  I'm
just learning in this area.  I do have help from one of the major research
groups working in the area of technology for people with learning
disabilities, so I can probably get some questions answered when it
comes to what works for LD.

I'd love to hear other voices about both what questions to ask and how
to ask them in an inclusive manner that helps us all.

Audrey

Audrey J. Gorman
Director, Roads To Learning, The Public Libraries' Learning Disabilities
Initiative
50 East Huron St.,  Chicago, IL  60611
Voice:  1-800-545-2433  Ext. 4027