AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prof Norm Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2009 14:21:23 -0800
I thought this announcement would interest many of EASI's friends.
Norm

> [...]
>
>• Ellen Fitzpatrick, presidential historian and professor at the
>University of New Hampshire
>• Peniel Joseph, professor of history and African-American studies at
>Brandeis University
>• Richard Brookhiser, senior editor at National Review and author of a
>series of biographies of America's founders, including Alexander Hamilton
>and George Washington
>
>"WGBH is proud to take part in making this historic event fully accessible
>to all PBS viewers once again," says Media Access Group director Larry
>Goldberg. "And we're extremely grateful to PBS, the team at MacNeil/Lehrer
>Productions and to corporate sponsor of the live description Dunkin'
>Donuts for the opportunity to bring not only the audio of the inaugural
>coverage to deaf and hard-of-hearing Americans, but also the visual
>highlights of the occasion to those who are blind or visually impaired."
>
>Dunkin' Donuts, for many years a corporate caption sponsor of local news
>broadcasts in the Boston area, is sponsoring description for the first
>time. Shannon Maxwell, field marketing manager for Dunkin' Donuts says,
>"Dunkin' Donuts individual franchise owners are proud to play a part of
>making this major event accessible to blind and visually impaired
>audiences.  We are thrilled that our contribution will make the images of
>the day come alive via description."
>
>Closed captions display spoken dialogue as text on the television
>screen.  The live captions will be typed by specially trained
>stenocaptioners ­ working from WGBH’s Boston-based headquarters ­ and
>broadcast simultaneously with the live program.  The descriptive narration
>­ provided by an expert team of describers ­ will be audible during pauses
>in program dialogue and will identify speakers, describe settings and
>convey other visual information about the event. Captions can be accessed
>on televisions equipped with built-in decoders (most televisions are
>equipped), while viewers can hear descriptions by switching to the Second
>Audio Program (SAP) channel on their stereo TVs. The described coverage
>will also be streamed live on the Joint Congressional Committee on
>Inaugural Ceremonies (JCCIC) web site at
><http://www.inaugural.senate.gov/>http://www.inaugural.senate.gov/
>
>The Media Access Group at WGBH incorporates The Caption Center, the
>world's first captioning agency, founded in 1972; Descriptive Video
>Service® (DVS®), which has made television, film and video more accessible
>to blind and visually impaired audiences since 1990; and the Carl and Ruth
>Shapiro Family National Center for Accessible Media (NCAM), a research and
>development entity that builds on the success of WGBH's access service
>departments to make existing and emerging technologies more accessible to
>these under-served audiences.  Members of the Media Access Group's
>collective staff represent the leading resources and experts in their fields.

  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Norman Coombs [log in to unmask]
CEO EASI Equal Access to Software and Information
phone (949) 855-4852 (NOTE pacific time zone)
****READ ABOUT THE DICK BANKS MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP:
http://easi.cc/scholarship.htm

Check out EASI New Synchronous Clinics:
http://easi.cc/clinic.htm
EASI Home Page http://www.rit.edu/~easi
Online courses  and Clinics http://easi.cc/workshop.htm
Check the EASI Library Web http://www.rit.edu/~easi/lib.htm

>>> Error in line 8 of AXSLIB-L.MAILTPL: unknown formatting command <<<