AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Audrey J. Gorman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 16:07:24 -0600
Richard,

I wholeheartedly agree with Jane about the necessity to have accessible
workstations throughout the library, and hope you're (considering?) doing
that too. For some basic information that I prepared last year when I was
at ALA, go to http://www.ala.org/ascla/issues.html#access and look for
"Accessible Library Workstations." It needs a little updating at this
point, but is still basically sound.

As far as your lab is concerned,

>*      one or two (or all) PC's that have specific software for folks with
>special needs (screen readers, etc.)
I'd say all computers should at least have a couple of basics (see the list
referred to above) AND people should get specific direction rewgarding the
accessible features on common software, such as the accessibility options
in Microsoft products. Quite a bit of the software, such as Freedom
Scientific/Arkenstone's WYNN, is also helpful for other groups, such as
people with literacy problems. I also just had a demo on a new product from
TextHELP called "Wordsmith." It looks fairly easy to use and very flexible,
but I haven't heard anything from the front lines about it. Anyone have a
comment?

>*      one or more large screen monitors
I'd say as many as you can get your hands on, but at least two. I just saw
a statistic that says the number of people who are blind or visually
impaired will be doubling shortly, thanks to the aging of the Baby Boomers.
I'm included in that number and I can assure you we're a demanding,
service-changing bunch!

>*      special tables
A couple, and I'd suggest electric pushbutton rather than those awful crank
(cranky) things.

>*      other assisted technologies
Pay more attention to the software than to the hardware, since that's where
most of the assistance is for the greatest number of people. But be sure to
have a few adaptive mice, switches, etc. on hand and readily usable.

BTW, this  isn't just about ADA. It's also about Section 504 of the
Rehabilitation Act, people who are vertically challenged (including
children), people who are culturally different, and simple common sense
public service. But I won't get off in that direction today!

Thanks for your question. I'll look forward to other answers.

Audrey

Audrey J. Gorman
Access for All
Naperville, IL, USA

Mobile: 630-661-9062
Office: 630-717-7336
www.accessall.net (under construction and embarassing right now!)

[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
Subject:        Re: Advice regarding a computer lab...

Richard: My PRIMARY advice is to make sure that accessibility is
mainstreamed, not kept to a single room or two. While there is some
equipment
that works better in a separate location (e.g., equipment used by people
who
need a quiet environment), less expensive and complicated equipment such as
alternate mice/keyboards can be used anywhere. Policy plays a large role;
if
everyone knows they can check out alternate mice/keyboards for use on any
library machine if they let the librarian plug it in properly, a level of
real accessibility can occur.

Jane