AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
jallegri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 08:54:14 -0400
To everybody who requested a summary,

To summarize, I was looking for information about a source of accessible
microfiche/film readers for a local library that is assessing ways to better
serve patrons with disabilities.

The good news is many of you were very interested in the responses I recieved,
as you were also involved in similar searches.

The bad news is nobody knew of a source.  One responce referred me to the
following link where they had purchased an accessible table:

Model Accella-6030. 60" X 30" from Accessible Designs, 94 North Columbus Rd,
Athens, Ohio 45701-1312. 740-593-5240. www.ad-as.com. Cost: $815.00.

That at least gives people some work space and allows for height adjustments.

When discussing the issue with some friends of mine who work in hospital and
school settings, they suggested I contact a "rehabilitation engineer" to
possibly provide consultation about modification of controls etc, for more
universal access.  As they were from another state, they suggested these
engineers may be found by contacting Vocational Rehab offices, Goodwill etc.

I'm interested to see if they can help.  I'm also considering letters to
manufacturers...

good luck to all of us in our search
Julia

Julia Allegrini, Library Supervisor