AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ellen Perlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 22:05:43 -0600
Dear Everyone:

Re the note about the U.S. Congressman who has concerns about Section 508 ..

Until we are perceived and labeled by society as PEOPLE=PEOPLE who have
civil=people rights, rather than negatively as inanimate "disabled" objects
that by dictionary definition are nonfunctioning and inoperable*, we will not
have civil rights.

Yes, insisting on POSITIVE PEOPLE FIRST language to describe who we are IS very
important, critical. If we want to be perceived positively and worthy of civil
rights, we need to portray ourselves and our accessibility cause positively.

*See the term "disabled" in any English dictionary.

Ellen Perlow