AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Audrey Gorman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 11:49:32 -0500
I would agree that Jackie that JAWS is the primary choice for people who are blind and some who have visual impairments.  However, not all visually impaired people like or use JAWS and there are people with other disabilities, such as learning disabilities, who need screen/web page readers but don't know JAWS.

I'd suggest considering JAWS for one or more workstations, but also looking into one or more of the other products on the market. I understand that a number of them are easier to learn, both for the library users and the staff, than JAWS is.  Also, some people like another product for Web browsing, in particular.

For a sampler of such products, go to
http://www.ala.org/roads/tech_list.html and look at the technology list supplied by the Frostig Center in Pasedena, CA.  Skim the rest, but focus on "Screen Reading Software" (Kurzweil 3000 and eReader especially) and "Optical Character Recognition."

I'd add another couple of things to that list:
See IBM Home Page Reader and links to other products at http://www-3.ibm.com/able/products.htm
and
go to http://www.freedomsci.com/ for other things that Freedom Scientific has to offer besides JAWS, including Connect Outloud.

Most of all, I'd suggest you find a vendor of assistive technology in your area who covers a broad range of disability/accessibility solutions.  They should be able to work with you intensively and to provide staff training and other kinds of support.  Expect to need someone on staff who knows at least the rudiments of troubleshooting the installation.  But train all staff on use of the chosen products and expect them to train the public.  For help with locating a vendor or learning more about assistive technology, try the Technical Assistance roject nearest you from the list at http://www.resna.org/taproject/at/statecontacts.html

or
the Alliance for Technology Access at http://www.ataccess.org/

or your regional library for the blind and physically handicapped.  If you need contact information, go to http://www.loc.gov/nls/reference/address.html

And, if you're going to be at ALA Annual Conference in San Francisco, be sure to come by the Accessibility Pavilion in the exhibits.  Quite a number of these products will be there.  We'll also have model accessible library workstations for people to experience!  Come find me at the Roads to Learning booth!

In summary, I have to say work to serve people with visual impairments by all means, but don't leave out the rest of us with disabilities, please. Best of all, some of the products will also help people who have literacy problems, people who read languages other than English, and many others.

Audrey

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/18/01 10:14 AM >>>
JAWS, Job Access with Speech, for Windows, currently occupies about 80% of
the visually impaired market in the U.S., so JAWS for Windows would be my
suggestion.  WindowEyes is also good, and somewhat less expensive; it
occupies second place, as I understand it.  These screen readers work for
many Windows applications, and also work with Internet browsers, such as
Internet Explorer 5.0 or above, and Netscape.  There would be no need to get
a separate talking Internet package if you purchased one of these screen
readers.

JAWS can be purchased from Freedom Scientific:
1-800-444-4443.

WindowEyes can be purchased from:219-489-3671.