AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Schmetzke, Axel" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 2009 12:04:36 -0500
Does you library subscribe, or considers subscribing, to Mango Languages, which is an online language-learning system teaching actual conversation skills for a wide variety of languages? If so, please be aware of the current accessibility problems, addressed in my letter to the company. If you share my concerns, it may help if you let Mango know about it:  http://www.mangolanguages.com/main

Here's my letter to Mango:

Dear Mango Representatives,

I just returned from the annual conference of the Wisconsin Association of Academic Libraries, where I discussed with my colleagues the value of your product. Given that all University of Wisconsin campuses have an accessibility policy in place that either mandates or at least encourages that online products are accessible to all people, including people with disabilities (such as blind people using screen-reading software to access the web), we wondered about the suitability of Mango for our 13 UW-system libraries. What concerns us deeply is a recent report by a blind public library user, who found that she could not use Mango because at least some of the buttons are not provided with sufficiently descriptive alternative text. The fact that her request, addressed to your company, to take proper action has been assigned "low priority" further contributes to our concern. Would you please tell me when you expect Mango to be made compliant with Section 508 Standards (see  http://www.section508.gov/) and the W3C's latest Web Content Accessibility Guidelines? I will share this inquiry, as well your response to it, with other librarians through suitable online discussion group channels.

Sincerely,

Axel Schmetzke, Ph.D.
Professor
Library
University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point

Check out EASI New Synchronous Clinics:
http://easi.cc/clinic.htm
EASI Home Page http://www.rit.edu/~easi
Online courses  and Clinics http://easi.cc/workshop.htm
Check the EASI Library Web http://www.rit.edu/~easi/lib.htm

>>> Error in line 8 of AXSLIB-L.MAILTPL: unknown formatting command <<<