AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ellen Perlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 14:05:25 -0600
Dear List Members:

The language issue: As they say, "it's a free country." Whatever works.
Whatever seems right and comfortable for everyone as an individual.

Life is such, fortunately or otherwise, that we cannot change anyone's behavior
except for our own.  However, we still have the power of persuasion. People
often change their behavior to get something they want or need. Access is a
universal human need: everyone sooner or later becomes a member of the class
[MOC]. So it follows that once people who can fix access issues are led to
perceive and understand that OUR access issues are THEIR access issues too, we
should have a much greater chance of achieving the equity of access that we
seek. Of equal importance is that the people with the power/money to make it
happen also perceive us as PEOPLE for whom fixing those access issues is a
worthy cause.

Disabled objects do not need access. People do.

For me: A for Accessibility: Positive Wins. Positive Works.

Ellen Perlow
Lifetime MOC
March 1, 2002