AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beth Eisenhood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2001 07:48:13 -0700
Hello All:
        I'm a reference librarian at a state talking book and braille library
(formerly known as 'the library for the blind'). I'm interested in becoming
a guide-dog-puppy raiser, a year's commitment in giving the puppy basic
socializing before it's returned to Guide Dogs for in-depth training. The
only way I would consider this is if I could bring the dog to work with me
(it's not much socializing to leave it at home every day!). I work 4 days a
week. I have asked the human resources dept in our library system if this
would be feasible, and they don't quite know how to respond since no one has
ever proposed such a thing before. It is not as though I 'need' the dog for
my own well-being.
        I would like to know if anyone works for an agency where this has been
allowed, and any and all experiences; or, if anyone knows of regulations or
guidelines covering such a case. Thank you in advance for any assistance.
        Elizabeth Eisenhood
        Seattle, WA.