AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Julie Klauber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 08:46:15 -0400
Audrey,

I'm not an expert on Newsline, although I have heard several demos and am
also exploring it for our subregional library for the blind.  Newsline is
NOT an online service.  It enables people who are blind to access the
complete text of USA Today, The New York Times, and other national and
local newspapers with the use of only a touch-tone telephone. It is
sponsored by the National Federation of the Blind (NFB) in conjunction with
organizations throughout the country. I think it could be quite useful to
some people with learning disabilities, but you'd have to get in touch with
NFB to find out if that is an option. It is a very impressive system but
pretty costly for the average library or local sponsor.  There's in-depth
information on the NFB web site at http://www.nfb.org/newsline.htm.  Hope
this helps.

Julie