AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ellen Perlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 12:13:59 -0600
October 2000

Dear Accessibility & Diversity Advocates and Educators (a/k/a Everyone):

The ALA Scholarship Application for 2001 NOW is available on the
ALA website at http://www.ala.org/work/awards/scholars.html

This means it is NOW time to recruit applicants for our 2001
Century Scholarship or Scholarships
(http://www.ala.org/ascla/centuryscholarship.html).

The Application Deadline is Thursday, MARCH 1, 2001,
less than 4 1/2 months from today.

As you already know, the purpose of the Century Scholarship is to
promote our shared goals of increasing the number as well as the
diversity of professionals in our field by recruiting students
who happen to do some things differently, sometimes with the
latest high technology, into schools of library and information
science that offer American Library Association-accredited
degrees. We now are seeking applicants for Century's second
annual 2001 award[s] and kindly request your assistance in
recruiting our next Century Scholars.

The Century Scholarship Homepage:
        http://www.ala.org/ascla/centuryscholarship.html

The ALA Scholarship Application page:
       http://www.ala.org/work/awards/scholars.html#ASCLA

Our #1 Success Story: Rebecca Van Scyoc: We are extremely proud
to announce that our very first Century Scholar, Rebecca Van
Scyoc, received her Century Scholarship this past July 9th at the
ALA Annual-Chicago ASCLA President's Program at a very moving
ceremony attended by Rebecca and her family (see:
http://www.ala.org/ascla/awards_current.html#century).  Hearty
congratulations and continuing success to Rebecca who already has
successfully begun her studies this Fall at the University of
Illinois Graduate School of Library and Information Science!

Congratulations and deepest thanks to the University of Illinois
Graduate School of Library and Information Science and to Dean
Leigh Estabrook for extending to Century Scholars attending your
School the same privileges of tuition and student fee waivers
that your School extends to scholars participating in Century's
sister Spectrum diversity initiative: please see:
http://alexia.lis.uiuc.edu/gslis/school/news/century-scholar.html

How can we all help The Century Scholarship Diversity Initiative
continue to succeed?

1. Please encourage [future] students to apply for The Century
Scholarship (no credit-hour limit)

2. Please refer all potential Century Scholarship applicants/
Century Scholars to:

a. The Century Scholarship homepage:

         http://www.ala.org/ascla/centuryscholarship.html

b. The ALA ASCLA Office:
Toll-Free Tel.: 1-800-545-2433 ext. 4396
Toll-Free TDD: 1-800-814-7692

c. Any of the following ASCLA Century Scholarship Committee
members around the nation:

Ellen Perlow, Chair, Century Scholarship Committee; Manager of
Information Services, Texas Woman's University School of Library
and Information Studies, PO Box 425438, Denton, Texas 76204-5438.
Tel.: 940-898-2622 Fax: 940-898-2611, E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
Web: : http://twu.edu/~s_perlow/

Mitake Holloman Burts, Keystone Library Automation Systems,
Raleigh, North Carolina Work: 1-800-222-9711. Fax:
919-782-6835, E-Mail: [log in to unmask] Web: http://www.klas.com/

Marti Goddard, Manager, Access Services, San Francisco Public
Library, 100 Larkin Street,  San Francisco, California 94102
(http://206.14.7.53/access_services/Access.htm)
Voice: 415/557-4557; TDD: 415/557-4433; Fax: 415/557-4531
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

Rahye Puckett, Director, Library for the Blind and Physically
Handicapped, Mississippi Library Commission, 5455 Executive
Place, Jackson, Mississippi 39206
(http://www.mlc.lib.ms.us/lbph/lbph_index.html)
1-800-446-0892/1-601-713-3409,
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

Elizabeth Ridler, Branch Manager, Brooklyn Public Library,
Brooklyn, New York (www.brooklynpubliclibrary.org/), E-Mail:

Lisa Scholl, Past Century Scholarship Committee Chair, Petosky,
Michigan, E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

Linda Lucas Walling, Professor, College of Library and
Information Science, University of South Carolina, Columbia,
South Carolina (http://www.libsci.sc.edu/linda/walling.htm)
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

Thank you and your colleagues in advance for promoting our
profession and for promoting accessibility for all by recruiting
applicants for The Century Scholarship: Celebrating a New Century
that Celebrates Diversity!

Sincerely,

Ellen Perlow
Chair, ASCLA Century Scholarship Committee
http://www.ala.org/ascla/centuryscholarship.html
"Celebrating a New Century that Celebrates Diversity"
Next Century Scholarship Application Deadline: Thurs. March 1, 2001
Have YOU recruited a Century Scholarship applicant today?
Manager of Information Services
School of Library and Information Studies
Texas Woman's University
PO Box 425438, Denton, TX 76204-5438