AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Simon Healey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 01:15:07 -0500
As the 2001 ASCLA Century Scholar almost a year later I am still immensely
surprised and honored that I was awarded the scholarship and hope that many
other students wishing to provide library services to patrons with
disabilities or persons with a disability will take advantage of the
scholarship program. In my case, the scholarship combined with money gifted
by University of Pittsburgh SLIS alumni specially earmarked to help students
attend conferences allowed my travel to two ALA conferences and CSUN while
in school. At an extremely early part of my career as a librarian these
funds have provided an early entry into ALA, ASCLA, LSSPS and most probably
many other committees. I look forward to meeting many friends from what
Ellen calls MOC at Atlanta and I also hope to meet this new band of library
students interested in this small yet growing population of librarians
serving patrons with disabilities.

Simon Healey
MLIS  Dec. 2001
University of Pittsburgh