AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 11:03:58 -0800
My read on this is that it isn't rejecting any specific group, including
people with disabilities, it is recruiting people from specific groups.  I
believe the challenge is to expand our understanding of who has been
historically discriminiated against while supporting efforts of
organizations to recruit people of quality who may be different.

Julia Allegrini

----------
> From: Yared, Michael <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: People with disabilities included?
> Date: Wednesday, March 01, 2000 7:55 AM
>
>         Is this a disablist internship program because it rejected
> people with disabilities?
>         Mike
>
> UNIVERSITY AT BUFFALO LIBRARIES
> LIBRARY INTERNSHIP/RESIDENCY PROGRAM 2000-2003
>
> THE PROGRAM:    The Library Internship/Residency Program offers an
> historically underrepresented individual (African American, Hispanic
> American or Native American as defined by the State University of New
> York) an opportunity to pursue a challenging career in academic
> librarianship.  The 3 year program offers a combination of academic
> training and work experience.  Interns spend their first year pursuing
the
> Master in Library Science (M.L.S.) degree at the University at Buffalo
> (UB), School of Information Studies (SIS).  Interns must complete the
> degree program in one year (includes summer sessions).  Upon completion
of
> the M.L.S., the intern becomes a resident and begins a 2-year position as
> Visiting Assistant Librarian in the Oscar A. Silverman Undergraduate
> Library.  Responsibilities include provision of reference services,
> library instruction, web development, collection development, research
and
> publication of a scholarly article and other assigned projects.
>
> QUALIFICATIONS: Must have a baccalaureate degree and be willing to pursue
> a Master's degree at the University at Buffalo; be a member of an
> historically underrepresented group as defined by the State University of
> New York (African American, Hispanic American, Native American); possess
> excellent oral and written communication skills; have the ability to work
> in a team environment; possess general knowledge of the Internet and
World