AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tanya Feddern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 10:54:01 -0400
Dear Bill,

>How is "People with Disabilities" any more positive than handicapped or
>disabled? It all means the same thing: the person talked about needs some
>sort of assistive technology or other accommodation.

Since you don't have a disability, you are the *wrong* person to decide if a
term is offensive.

>I understand the concern but a subject heading in LC is the wrong >thing to
>be complaining about.

So, do you think that LC shouldn't have changed all of their offensive
ethnic LC terms, too?

Outdated and offensive LC terms are seen by more than catalogers.  The
public sees the LC terms when they are looking for books on the OPAC.
Deragatory terms are an embarrassment and painful reminder of
less-enlightened times and cause hurt to those who've been called them.

I appreciate your candor (and courage) in making your thoughts known.  The
exchange of ideas is the best way to change conceptions.

Take care,

Tanya

Tanya Feddern, MLIS, MOT
http://www.geocities.com/nqiya/index.html