AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ellen Perlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 17:36:57 -0600
PLEASE DO NOT FORWARD THIS NOTE.  THANK YOU.

Dear Accessibility Advocates:

Thank you Audrey Gorman, Dr. Coombs, Dr. Schmetzke, and all list members for
your superb advocacy.  Right on.

The following is just a point of fact, NOT a solicitation. I am on the ballot
for ALA Council for 2002.  My platform/statement of concerns that will appear
on the ballot, literally:  "A for Accessibility" and "A for Accessibility:
Positive Wins Every Time." A major goal: to work diligently to place the
universally important  "A for Accessibility", including an  Accessibility
Officer for ALA, and actual complete implementation of ALA's Accessibility
Policy (http://www.ala.org/ascla/access_policy.html) on the very top of ALA's
agenda and "To-Do" list where Accessibility belongs: just like "A" is the first
letter of the Roman alphabet and sends words that begin with the letter A to
the top of an index using such an alphabet.

P.S.  Everyone attending ALA Midwinter in New Orleans this past January
received real live experience with accessibility with the long treks required
to get from meeting to meeting.

-------------------------------------
-------------------------------------

The following IS a solicitation -- for your expert assistance in helping to
find our 2002 ALA Century Scholarship applicants and 2002 Century Scholar[s].

2002 Application Deadline:  Just 2 weeks away: March 1, 2002.  The date that
all application materials must be RECEIVED by ALA.  Please do what you can to
help applicants complete the required documentation in a timely way, for
instance, if you are able to serve as a reference, etc.

See:
http://www.ala.org/ascla/centuryscholarship.html and
http://www.ala.org/hrdr/scholarship.html

I am pleased to note that I have communicated recently with 3 people who
indicated to me that they intend to apply for the ASCLA Century Scholarship
(P.S. as an employee of an LIS program, I cannot serve on the Century
Scholarship jury, and have no role in selection of the scholarship winner[s]).

Logically speaking:  The more self-identifying MOCs* ("members of the class") who join
our profession, the more self-identifying MOCs there will be (everyone else in
humankind being people who have yet to self-identify as MOCs), and
the more accessibility awareness and accessibility for all
there will be.

P.S.  With ALA HRDR and ASCLA approval, I did convert the ALA Scholarship
Program application form (currently database entry) into printable, word processed, and
convertible to ASCII text versions - if anyone needs such an alternative
format.

THANK YOU FOR NOT FORWARDING THIS NOTE.

--------------

Ellen Perlow
Chair, ALA ASCLA Century Scholarship Committee
The ALA ASCLA Century Scholarship Diversity Initiative
"Celebrating a New Century that Celebrates Diversity"
http://www.ala.org/ascla/centuryscholarship.html
Next Submission Deadline: March 1, 2002
See Also: ALA HRDR Page: http://www.ala.org/hrdr/scholarship.html
Texas Century Scholarship: http://www.txla.org/html/awards/scholar/century.html
Have YOU recruited/applied to be a Century Scholarship applicant today?
Manager of Information Services
School of Library and Information Studies
Texas Woman's University
P.O. Box 425438
Denton, TX 76204-5438
Tel.: 940-898-2622  Fax: 940-898-2611