AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 17:55:43 -0500
I agree with you that the current state of the news media is sad.  However,
I differ on where the fault is.   When I invested racism at the Wisconsin
Department of Public Instruction (DPI), I was surprised by the large number
of complaints filed against DPI and other state agencies. And, when I
investigated the poor treatment of disabled students by schools in
Wisconsin, I was surprised by the large number of complaints filed.  And,
each issue I investigate, I discover a large number of complaints filed.
So, I bet that there is a large number of complaints against the news
media.   I suspect the issue is coordinating the complaints.

The Madison Public Schools and the City of Madison do
study-after-study.  However, all they need to do is competently and fairly
resolve the current  complaints.

At 03:43 PM 7/5/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I believe it was Alfonso that sent out information to us all about the
>Journalism class lectures open to the public on Tues. & Thursday evenings.
>The issues raised here would have been and still could be germane.  I
>haven't seen many community folks at these lectures but they have been very
>interesting -- and I don't mean that the message has always been good.
>Tomorrow night's lecture is on regulating the media.  I encourage all to
>attend.
>
>There was a time when the press and journalists were to be respected and
>admired for their dogged determination to uncover lies and bring truth to
>the people.  However, the days of  Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein are long
>over.  Journalism -- as a relentless search for truth no matter where it
>takes us -- is dead and buried.  Every newspaper, radio, tv station has it's
>political perspective to push.  More and more stories are compiled by news
>services; investigative reporting has by and large ceased to exist.
>
>What stories are covered, what constitutes a story, who gets their photo in
>the paper, who has access to refute false and misleading statements, where
>stories appear within the paper, what the headline reads.... are all
>political decisions handled by people who regularly prove themselves to be
>less than honorable.
>
>Most people are content with the tidbits they hear on the evening tv news --
>where far more time is devoted to weather and sports than to news.  Even
>worse, news magazines, Inside Story, Hollywood blah blah blah, Entertainment
>Tonight get more and more attention.
>
>Who is at fault?  Everyone of us who does not demand equity, fairness,
>accuracy, disclosure.  We buy newspapers that tell us nothing and watch
>glossy tv shows and think we're informed.  We're lazy and getting stupid and
>we have no one to blame but ourselves.   We get the leaders, the news, the
>education, etc. we deserve because accepting less than we need is easier
>than rocking the boat.
>
>Tomorrow nights lecture begins at 7:00 at Grainger Hall, Room 1100.  It's a
>small way to show that a "free press" must regain the public trust or be
>doomed to extinction.
>
>I offer a Yiddish proverb:  "Truth never dies but lives a wretched life."

If I could have convinced more slaves that they were slaves, I could have
freed thousands more.  -- Harriet Tubman