AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Wilmot B. Valhmu" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:38:27 -0600
** Please visit our website: http://www.africanassociation.org **

Dahn,

You said, "It is hypocritical to mix religion and politics."  I would be inclined to agree with you if indeed my point in commenting on the New York Times article was to promote getting "religion".  It was not.

For the evangelical Christian, having or living one's faith is not about religion, the mere adoption of and adherence to the observance of traditions and rules regarding the things of God.  Rather, it is about a relationship, a relationship that centers on making the will of God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ the focus of our beings and lives.  As such, issues that run counter to how God wants us to live become important.

Living in a secular society does not mean that Christians have to mold and conform their faith and fundamental principles to the beliefs and values of that society.  If societal values run counter to the teachings and expressed will of God, then Christians are obliged to oppose such believes and values.  The issues of abortion and same-sex marriage fall into this category.

Touching on your question about what would Jesus have done, I believe that Jesus would have opposed abortion, same-sex marriage, and anything such society leanings that run counter to the will of the Father.  This belief is based on the teachings of Scriptures, which are indeed the very words of Jesus (note: I can explain this latter statement if you ask).

I will leave things at this point because I was just reminded by one of my colleagues about a schedule meeting.  We can come back to it later if you please.

Take care,

- Wilmot