AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 14:31:01 -0500
This is my last message.  It is important that you have an opportunity to
express your opinions and I mine.  This gives others an opportunity to make
their own judgement.

I tutor kids in Milwaukee and Madison in the areas of phonics, math, and
science.  And, I see in a few minutes good progress. The progress of the
kids is my reward.

I have gone to meetings for the past thirty-five years.  And, I have been
unable to convince the inconvincible.  And, I have been unable to change
the immutable.

Since you chose to attend meeting after meeting after meeting with
tricksters, God help you.  Been there!  Done that!

So, I have the choice of going to sham meetings, which drain me,  or I have
a choice of tutoring, which I enjoy and which rejuvenates me.

You, yourself said the mayor might not do anything.  So, what's it all
about Alfie?

At 01:24 PM 4/12/00 -0500, you wrote:
>These are questions you were not there to ask.  As I said before, the Mayor
>was reviewing the information from her last meeting and outlining what she
>planned to do (sensitivity training/developing a system of info tracking to
>address racial profiling).  Since you are in the "fight", why did you not
>share your valuable input.  It is very easy for people to put down efforts
>for improvement, while it is much more difficult come up with workable
>solutions.
>
>Of course there is racial profiling, but surely you are not suggesting every
>time a person of color gets detained it is solely based on their race.
>While attending college, I  lived in a low income/high crime area (many of
>whose residence happened to be of color) and I know FIRST HAND there was
>more crime and violence in this neighborhood.  I appreciated the extra
>police in the neighborhood, because I felt safer.  So while I believe that
>there is racial profiling, I also believe that police are justified to be
>more cautious in high crime areas.
>
>The Mayor's report will not stop racial profiling and perhaps her plan will
>not even stop one incident of racial profiling, but without the valuable
>input of its victims, how can we ever hope to stop it.  I can tell you one
>thing, complaining...without offering valid suggestions of change will never
>stop it.
>
>-Sam

If I could have convinced more slaves that they were slaves, I could have
freed thousands more.  -- Harriet Tubman