AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Munoz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 16:48:45 -0600
Posted to LUChA

From: Kaleem Caire <[log in to unmask]> 01/30/98
01:59pm >>>

Greetings everyone,

If you have not already heard, I wanted make sure you knew
about a non-traditional African American History Celebration that
will be taking place in Madison during the month of February.  As
an effort to make our celebration relevant to current issues in
African American communities, this year, several state
employees have organized a series of informal discussions with
well-respected educational scholars, historians, teachers, and
state legislators.  Everyone is welcome to attend these events,
however, space will be limited.

The theme of the series is "African American Education:  From
the Past to the Present". The list of presenters is as follows:

February 2:   Dr. Howard Fuller, Professor of Education and
Director of the Institute for the Transformation of Learning at
Marquette University, Milwaukee.  Dr. Fuller is also a former
Superintendent of Milwaukee Public Schools.

February 6:  Dr. Gloria Ladson-Billings, Professor of Education at
the University of Wisconsin-Madison and author of "The Dream
Keepers:  Successful Teachers of African American Children".

February 11:  Attorney Lloyd Barbee, former State Legislator from
Milwaukee, and past President of the Wisconsin NAACP.

February 18:  Dr. Zachary Cooper, Ph.D., Director of Project
Jamaa (Madison), and author of "Black Settlers in Wisconsin".

February 23:  State Representative Polly A. Williams, District 10,
Milwaukee.

February 27:  Parents and Teachers from African American
Education Academies and programs in Madison and Milwaukee.

In the spirit of African American tradition, we have asked each
speaker to join us to engage in discussion about issues
relevant to African Americans' involvement in, and pursuit of high
quality educational opportunities.  In addition to presenting and
discussing issues, we have purposely selected individual
African Americans from diverse professional backgrounds and
view points so as to celebrate the diversity among African
American people.

The events will all take place from 11am to 1pm at Edgewood
College, 855 Woodrow Street, Madison, WI in Regina
Hall-Washburn Heritage Room.  On February 2, African Food will
be served for $7 per plate.  On February 27, traditional African
American "Soul Food" will be served for $7 per plate.  Please
remember that this is an informal event.

For more information, please contact Patricia Leahy, OP. at
(608)294-2271 or 1-800-444-4861 ext. 2271.

Kaleem Caire, Consultant
Minority Student Achievement
Department of Public Instruction
Madison, WI