AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Wilmot B. Valhmu" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 12:34:25 -0600
** Please visit our website: http://www.africanassociation.org **

Settro,

Some of the things you pointed out (e.g., that people can do what they want to do within the confines of the law, that people have the right to say or not say Merry Christmas) are obvious, and I do agree.  But I do disagree with you fundamentally (no pun intended) when you say that Christmas is not being purged.  How aware are you of this issue?  Have you followed this and similar issues before to see whether there is any merit to what I said, or did you just disagree because you felt that I might be intolerant?

The issue about businesses not displaying or including the phrase "Merry Christmas" in their stores or circulars is just one of the various attempts to eliminate mention of Christ or God in American culture.  The ACLU and others are fighting to remove displays of the Ten Commandments from public places, all under the guise of upholding the "separation of church and state".  Never mind that a good deal of American jurisprudence is based upon the Ten Commandments.  There is currently a case pending in the Supreme Court of the United States on this issue.  It gets even more egregious when school administrators censor students' speeches at commencement, forbidding them to contain religious content, or prevent students from holding on school premises meetings that are religious in nature while allowing all other groups to meet.  Again, this is all done in the name of "separation of church and state."

From where does this so-called doctrine of separation of church and state come?  You might believe, or some may have you believe, that it comes from the U.S. Constitution, but there is no such provision in the Constitution.  The First Amendment of the Constitution states, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Those who advocate separation of church and state appropriate the first part of this amendment, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion...", but forget to note the part saying "... or prohibiting the free exercise thereof".  This latter part means that Congress shall make no law prohibiting the free exercise of religion.  The law here does not call for separation of church and state.  What it does call for is that there shall neither be laws establishing state or federal religion, nor shall there be laws that curtail the free exercise of religion.  What the ACLU and others are doing is trying to eliminate God and Christ from the public arena, in violation of the First Amendment.

Getting back to the issue of Christmas, I must point out that I digressed to speak about constitutional issues only to make it clear that this Christmas issue is not an isolated one; rather, it?s part of a bigger trend or effort to suppress Christian expression.  We can discuss this further in private, if you please.

The point of my last e-mail was not that people should not have the right to say ?Happy Holiday? or ?Season?s Greetings?.  My point was that they should not wipe out the mention of Christ under the guise of inclusiveness and then expect us Christians to patronize their businesses.  And where it falls in the pattern of eliminating God or Christ from our culture, I am ready to fight to prevent that.  As a Christian, you may believe in a different approach, but this is how I see it.  If you disparage Christ, you?re not my friend.  Period!

Have a blessed day,

- Wilmot