AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"E. Aggo Akyea" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 10:57:03 -0600
BBC Friday, March 26, 1999 Published at 17:55 GMT

Mandela bows out

By South Africa Correspondent Greg Barrow

President Nelson Mandela has made his final speech to a packed session of
the South African parliament in Cape Town.

In an emotionally charged atmosphere, opposition leaders from across the
political spectrum paid tribute to the man they credit with pulling South
Africa back from the brink of civil war and transforming the country into a
modern, multi-racial democracy.

President Mandela appeared deeply moved by the tributes, which underlined
his pivotal role in the construction of post-apartheid South Africa.

Then came the moment for him to begin his final speech, which is the first
of many farewells expected over the next few months.

It was filled with President Mandela's favourite themes of reconciliation
and renewal and his desire to build a better world for the next generation
of South Africans.

Product of Africa

He thanked his colleagues from all parties for their commitment to
political transformation and urged them to continue their good work when
South Africa's second post-apartheid parliament sits once again after
elections in June.

"I am the product of Africa and her long cherished view of a rebirth that
can now be realised so that all of her children may play in the sun.

"If I have been able to help her take our country a few steps towards
democracy, it is because I am a product of the African National Congress,"
he said.

His successor, Thabo Mbeki, who is expected to become president after South
Africa's second multi-racial elections in June this year, said: "Mandela is
a bright star who has lit up Africa's darkest skies."

Although President Mandela will retire after the polls, he is unlikely to
disappear from the global stage completely.

Despite his age, Mr Mandela is still an energetic man and he has made no
secret of his desire to channel his energy towards the resolution of other
international disputes once he retires from South African politics