AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Felix Ossia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 09:15:02 -0600
Sunday, January 27, 2002.

Weah's Accusations Upset

Charles Taylor

THE friction between Liberian president, Charles Taylor, and African
football superstar, George Weah, took a new twist yesterday with Taylor
reportedly upset that Weah would be leaving the country.

Liberian Information Minister, Reginald Goodridge, according to Daily Soccer
website, told AFP that Taylor was upset that former FIFA World Player of the
Year Weah would be resettling in the United States after hitting out at the
government of the West African nation.

"Just a few days ago, Weah and President Taylor talked and I am taken aback
by his accusations against this government," Goodridge said.

"But George is welcome. This government harbours no jealousy for him."

Weah had said he would resign his post as technical director of the Liberian
national squad and resettle in New York after the African Nations Cup
tournament in Mali -- and that he would only return home if there was a
change of government.

In an interview with AFP in Bamako this week, Weah claimed he feared for his
life in Liberia and accused Taylor's government of targeting him for
violence.

Weah also said his properties in the country had been repossessed by the
government.

"They have already burnt my house down," Weah said. "They've repossessed my
shops. It's not safe. I don't want something to happen to me before my
children grow up. I'm afraid ... I don't feel safe.

"The message of the president is that I am a target," he said.

But an AFP correspondent in Monrovia said two shops and a night club owned
by the player were still being run by his relatives.

Weah said he believed Taylor was jealous of his popularity.

"He doesn't want to accept the fact that I am popular. He's jealous. He
thinks that I want to be president but I'm not a politician," Weah had said.

But Goodridge told AFP yesterday that Taylor was "more upset and baffled
than angry" over Weah's remarks.

"We had no idea that George had political ambition. If he has, he will have
an opportunity to participate because ours is an open political system.

"Opposition political parties are operating freely in Liberia," said
Goodridge, who observed that Weah made these remarks because at one-time
Taylor said he was going to restructure the Lone Star (Liberia's nickname),
and that was Weah's way of hitting back.

"All his properties are here and intact. If he needs extra protection we
will give it to him. George is an ambassador. We recognise his immunities
and will grant him extra protection if this is what he wants."

Weah said in Bamako that he had enjoyed good relations with Liberia's
previous president Samuel Doe, and believed that had possibly weighed
heavily against him.

Doe was assassinated in 1990, sparking a seven-year civil war.

Liberia have drawn both their matches so far in the African Nations Cup,
against Mali and Algeria.