AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
PETER W VAKUNTA <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:19:06 -0500
** Please visit our website: http://www.africanassociation.org **

I think this article raises a number of very crucial issues.The first
and most important being the perception of minority students by some
narrow-minded teachers and administrators.When teachers contribute to
creating racial divides through their own thinly-veiled racist
attitudes like the ones mentioned in the citation below,how do we
expect learners not to follow suit? I still remember my horrendous
years as a K-12 teacher in APPLETON, where my name and photo were
deliberately obliterated from the SCHOOL year-book by some racist
caucasian who did not want my face and photo to "soil" their beautiful
all-white year-book.

The fact of the matter is that anyone who is unable to rise above his
race or ethnic group is an idiot. For teachers, it is even worse
because such bigots contribute to nurture the bigots that orchestrate
dismal catastrophes like "COLUMBINE"
Can these fellows be weeded out of our school system?
Sure they can!
BUT IT TAKES BALLS TO DO THAT!!

"how teachers interact with minority students has a
large impact on how the minority student body feels in
school.

Another striking example of how the teachers' and
administrators' actions at La Follette negatively
affect the minority student body is the unequal
enforcement taking place. Oftentimes African-Americans
and other minorities are stopped in the hallway for
passes or receive detention for being tardy, while
whites do not."

PETER W.VAKUNTA
DEPARTMENT OF FRENCH AND ITALIAN
UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN MADISON
602 VAN HISE HALL
1220 LINDEN DRIVE
MADISON WI 53706-1525
U.S.A
Office  608 262 4067
Home    608 422 6089
Cell    608 381 0407

"The heart of a fool is in his mouth, but the mouth of the wise man is
in his heart."
BENJAMIN FRANKLIN