AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"E. Aggo Akyea" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 12:13:44 -0500
Ghana Launches Second Emancipation Day

April 15, 1999

ACCRA, Ghana (PANA) - The second Emancipation Day celebration was launched
in Accra on Wednesday with a call on Africans to fulfil the vision of the
martyrs of Africa's liberation from slavery and colonialism.

Dr Mary Grant, a member of the Council of State who made the call, said
Africans must not allow the sacrifices of past heroes who fought for the
freedom of blacks on the continent and in the diaspora, to goin vain.

''...They sacrificed their lives, so we should live to carry on the
struggle to its logical conclusion, when we would have put the misery and
oppression behind us, and harness the tremendous wealth of the continent to
our benefit and sustenance.''

This year's Emancipation Day under the theme ''Emancipation: Our Heritage,
Our Strength - Building Africa's Civilisation For Eternity'', will be held
in Accra, Cape Coast and Assin Manso in the Central Region. The nine-day
celebrations begin on 24 July this year.

Grant said slavery and colonialism succeeded in dividing Africans to be
exploited. ''It is now time to weave the broken threads together.''

She pointed out that Ghana's recognition of Emancipation Day is to prepare
the ground for the economic, social, political and spiritual development of
Africa and to forge solidarity among all people of African descent.

The minister of tourism, Mike Gizo, said with the approach of the
celebrations, sanitation must be the concern of all since visitors will
flock into the country.

He charged personnel manning the country's entry points to facilitate
border crossing without compromising laid down regulations.

Travel and tour operators must also provide prompt services for visitors as
well as organise tour packages to neighbouring countries.
Copyright © 1999 Panafrican News Agency. All Rights Reserved.