AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Wilmot B. Valhmu" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:56:57 -0600
** Please visit our website: http://www.africanassociation.org **

Thanks, Auntie Ann Marie, for the news clipping!

Auntie Anita,

Nutritional warnings about cholesterol in palm oil have long given me pause to think about potential harm.  However, being Liberian, I took it in stride, reasoning that, come what may, the culinary benefits outweigh the negatives.  The current news is quite welcomed and relieving, considering that palm oil, as indicated, not only has anti-oxidant benefits but also cholesterol-lowering effects.  That indeed is good news that I didn't know.

Your point about fried foods is noted however.  My guess is that the benefits of palm oil are maximal when it is used "raw" in cooking, i.e., not fried.  Frying might destroy or change the molecular composition of some of the anti-oxidants, in addition to the effects you noted on fats or fatty acids.  I don't know for a fact whether this happens, but it is likely.  So, minimizing fried foods would be recommended.

- Wilmot