AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Brewoo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:14:57 -0500
FYI

----Original Message Follows----
From: mukoma ngugi <[log in to unmask]>
To: Joe Brewoo <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: conference- Africa without Borders
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 13:09:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Joe Brewoo,
I was wondering if you can help pass the call for
papers pasted below.  Also, please visit our website
and if you have suggestions or can help us in anyway,
let me know,
Sincerely,
Mukoma
for Africa Without Borders Conference

Call for Papers: Towards an Africa without Borders

The Department of African Languages and Literature,
UW- Madison invites papers for a conference,  "Towards
an Africa without Borders: Unification and Fundamental
Change," to be held at the University of
Wisconsin-Madison from October 24 to 26, 2003.  The
deadline for abstracts is May 31st and for the full
papers June 30th, 2003.

The conference's purpose is to bring scholars,
writers, and political activists together to discuss
the theoretical and practical approaches to change and
unification in Africa within the context of
Pan-Africanism.

The conveners welcome papers that address the wide
range of issues having to do with change and
unification in Africa, from the role of the African
writer to the question of language and unity, from the
part played by art in social change to the literary
and artistic aspects of the African Diaspora.  Within
the context of Pan-Africanism, we invite papers on
such subjects as feminism, racism, political activism,
globalization and neocolonialism.

Anticipated keynote speakers include Ngugi Wa
Thiong'o, Angela Davis, and Maina Wa Kinyatti.

Submission of abstracts: Abstracts should be limited
to 250 words, and should include the author's name,
title, affiliation, and full address (including
telephone, fax, and e-mail).  If abstracts are
submitted by e-mail, attachments should be in
Microsoft Word (.doc).

The abstracts can be sent to the following address:
          Towards an Africa without Borders
          Department of African Languages and
Literature
          University of Wisconsin-Madison
          1414 Van Hise Hall
          1220 Linden Drive
          Madison, WI 53715
or to the following e-mail address:

For additional information, contact Mukoma Wa Ngugi
at (608) 251-6136
or
visit our website,
http://african.lss.wisc.edu/all/Studconference