AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stephen Braunginn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 14:24:47 -0500
I know what I'm about to say will be unpopular, but it must be said.
This is about the enormous response to the new Popeye's restaurant.

With the enormous and growing epidemic of diabetes, high death rate
associated with cardio-vascular disease related to high cholesterol
levels, and a steadily growing obesity problem especially in African
American teens and women, what we do not need is another fast food
restaurant that promotes high fat, high salt food and high calories.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all in favor of having quality down-home
food. What we need to do, though, is to discover ways to have the same
food without all of that fat and high calories. Furthermore, we should
be promoting recreational opportunities that get our kids away from the
tv and Netendo and get them outside doing some games or going to the
park.

We have an epidemic rate of obesity that must be stopped. In order to do
that we must be willing to say no to the food that is the culprit and
yes to the food that will assure that another Black man will not die by
time he is 73 years old, or that another Black woman will not die by
time she's 75.

Oh, well....

Stephen H. Braunginn
President/CEO