AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Munoz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 14:51:24 -0500
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, September 21, 2001
CONTACT:  Ryan Mulcahy, Assistant to the Mayor, 266-4611

                MONDAY IS FAMILY DAY
        Families throughout Madison and across the country will be participating in a national family day event Monday.  September 24 has been declared "Eat Dinner With Your Children Day" in Madison and in many other cities throughout the United States.  In August when the Madison Common Council unanimously approved the resolution proclaiming the day, the horrors of the terrorist attacks against America and their dreadful aftermath were still unimagined.
        "We've all been deeply saddened by the tragic events that shocked the world September 11.  Our hearts and prayers go out to the victims and their families," Mayor Susan J.M. Bauman said.  "Many parents are trying to deal appropriately with the fears and concerns children have raised about fundamental questions of right and wrong, whether they are safe, and what the future might bring.  I hope we all participate Monday by talking with our children about the innocence of the victims, the heroism of the firefighters and police officers who were first on the scene and became victims of the terrorist attacks, and by assuring our children that every precaution we can take is being taken to forestall any future attack.  Let us share dinner with our children Monday and talk about the heroism we have all witnessed and the sacrifices that might lie ahead," Bauman added.
        Eat Dinner With Your Children Day has a simple message.  There are many benefits for families that eat dinner together.  Among them, according to university research, is a marked decline in the likelihood that such youth will smoke, drink or use illegal drugs.
        Mayor Bauman also encouraged parents, and other Madisonians, to carefully read the Statement to the Community which many community leaders co-signed in the wake of the terrorist attacks. The Statement asks the community to remain calm and guard against taking revenge against any particular ethnic group.  In the interim many more people have called the Mayor's Office to add their names.  Anyone who wishes to add his or her name is invited to do so.
                        # # # # #
Attachments:  Eat Dinner with Your Children Day Resolution and Statement to the Community
                        *   *   *   *   *
RESOLUTION proclaiming September 24, 2001, as EAT DINNER WITH YOUR CHILDREN DAY
Adopted August 7, 2001

WHEREAS, the use of illegal drugs and the abuse of substances such as alcohol and nicotine constitute the single greatest threat to the health and well-being of American children; and

WHEREAS, surveys conducted by the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University have found for each of the past four years that children and teenagers who routinely eat dinner with their families are far less likely to use illegal drugs, cigarettes and alcohol; and

WHEREAS, teens from families that almost always eat dinner together were 31 percent less likely than the average teen to smoke, drink or use illegal drugs, while those from families that almost never eat dinner together were 72 percent likelier than the average teen to engage in these activities; and

WHEREAS, the correlation between the frequency of family dinners and the decrease in substance abuse risk is well documented; and

WHEREAS, parental influence is known to be one of the most crucial factors in determining the likelihood of teenage substance abuse; and

WHEREAS, family dinners have long constituted a substantial pillar of American family life;

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the City of Madison recognizes that eating dinner as a family is a critical step toward raising healthy, drug-free children; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the City of Madison designates Monday, September 24, 2001 as

EAT-DINNER-WITH-YOUR-CHILDREN DAY
in the City of Madison.

STATEMENT FROM COMMUNITY LEADERS TO THE PUBLIC

In response to an invitation from Mayor Susan J.M. Bauman, a number of community leaders have signed the following statement to the community in the wake of Tuesday's terrorist attacks in New York City and Washington, D.C.  Other individuals and community organizations are invited to add their names by contacting the Mayor's Office at 266-4611.

The horrible terrorist attacks to the heart of our country will no doubt forever change the character of our nation.  It is with great sorrow and grief that we mourn and extend our sympathies to the victims and their families.  We add our hope for the full and speedy recovery of the injured and the missing.

As we realize that our nation will never be the same, it is important not to allow the perpetrators of this heinous crime to change our country's character for the worse.  The unimaginable devastation and loss of life we have suffered may appeal to our worst instincts.  But, as we contemplate how to respond, we must remain calm and guard against blindly seeking revenge against any particular ethnic group.

This has been a cowardly and indiscriminate crime against all humanity.  The backgrounds of its innocent victims are representative of the world's diversity, from Africa to the Americas, Europe to Asia, the Middle East, and beyond.  It is important that our community stand strongly in solidarity and support of all its people regardless of their ethnic background.  Madison's increasing diversity has made it a better place to live, learn, work and play.

Tuesday's terrible tragedy provides the opportunity for each one of us to reflect on our beliefs and convictions and to consider how we can expand our understanding and appreciation of diversity.  With resolve the adversity that has befallen our nation can form the basis of a better understanding of all the peoples in our community and our nation.  We must seize the moment, not to attack one another, but to better understand our differences and work together.

Susan J.M. Bauman, Mayor
Elsayed Mogahed, Islamic Community of Madison Area
LaMarr Billups, Urban League of Greater Madison
Steven Morrison, Madison Jewish Community Council
Kathleen Falk, Dane County Executive
Peter Muņoz, Communities United
Leslie Ann Howard, United Way of Dane County
Lucia Nuņez, Centro Hispano of Dane County
Thaj Ying Lee, United Refugee Services
Debra Weill, OutReach, Incorporated
Kirbie Mack, NAACP
Alfonso Zepeda-Capistrãn, Latinos United for Change and Advancement
Affordable Housing Action Alliance
Ray Allen, Madison Metropolitan School District Board Member
Alliance for Animals
Crystel Anders, Community Shares of Wisconsin
Arab-American Cultural Club of Madison
Carlos Arenas, WI Coordination Council on Nicaragua
Anne Arnesen, WI Council on Children and Families
Mary Kay Baum, Madison Area Urban Ministry
Ald. Linda Bellman, District 1
Ald. Dorothy Borchardt, District 12
Joanne Boyd
Rabbi Jan M. Brahms, Temple Beth El
Steve Braunginn, Urban League of Greater Madison
Lynn Breedlove, WI Coalition for Advocacy
Jason Chung, WI Organization for Asian Americans
Bob D'Angelo, Madison Cultural Arts District
Charlie Daniel
Karen Shevet Dinah
Jeff Erlanger
Rabbi Brian Field, Shaarei Shamayim, Reconstructionist Community
Robert Fyrst, Dane County Supervisor
Cindy Gialamas
Jonathan Gramling, Editor, The Madison Times
Jeffrey Grossman, M.D., President and CEO, U.W. Medical Foundation
Ruth Gundlach, AFL-CIO
John Hendrick, Dane County Supervisor
Jim Hess, Monona Terrace Director
Brett Hulsey, Dane County Board
Sharyl Kato, WI Women of Color and Rainbow Project
Allen Kemp, M.D., Chief Executive Officer, Dean Health
Rabbi Kenneth Katz, Beth Israel Center
Holly Kirchner
Brenda Konkel, Progressive Dane
Ald. Todd Jarrell
Madison Baha'i Community
Nancy McCulley, President, Professional Women in Madison
Joan Michaels, M.A.
Paul T. O'Leary
Ald. Judy Olson, District 6
Palestine Right-of-Return Coalition, AL-AWDA
Pamela A. Pfeffer, Urban League of Greater Madison
Ald. Gary Poulson, Madison Common Council President
Art Rainwater, Superintendent of Schools, Madison Metropolitan School District
Ruth Robarts, Madison Metropolitan School District Board Member
Hedi Rudd, Study Circles Committee
Tom Running, Progressive Dane
Romilia Schlueter, Guadalupano
Rev. Dr. Michael A. Schuler, Senior Minister, First Unitarian Society
Social Justice Council of First Unitarian Society
Donna Sollenberger, CEO, U.W. Hospital and Clinics
Steve Starky, WI Community Fund
Jerry Sternberg
Ald. Mike Verveer, Madison Common Council President Pro Tem
Robin Williams, City of Madison Parking Utility Manager
WI Coalition Against Domestic Violence
Lea Zeldin, Women's International League for Peace and Freedom