AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Vera Crowell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 2010 13:26:45 -0500
Funny thing, John. My name doesn't appear anywhere in this article. BTW, why couldn't he marry the Egyptian girl in Egypt??? Because they have laws against this sort of thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://allafrica.com/stories/201005130391.html

Vanguard (Lagos)
Nigeria: Early Marriage, Threat to Girl-Child Education
Emmanuel Edukugho

[John, Did I write this? No!!! Do you care about these women, or only about the males being able to buy whomever they wish, whatever the age?

"Some of the angry women groups referred to the scourge of Vesico Vaginal Fistula (VVF) with Nigeria having 800,000 out of the 2 million women suffering from the deadly disease globally. The VVF disease is mainly caused by early marriages to girls below 16 years."]

From the article: "With mixed reactions trailing the marriage of former Zamfara State governor, Senator Sani Ahmed Yerima to a 13-year old Egyptian girl, a professor of law in the University of Lagos has told Vanguard Education Weekly that early marriage can put an end to the education of the girl-child.

Professor Peter Fogam, Department of Commercial and Industrial Law, University of Lagos, decried a situation in which innocent female children supposed to be enjoying the warmth and affection of their parents are given out for marriage."

""That is the end of education for the child because she would be a parent if she becomes a mother at a tender age which is not the age for having children."

According to the law professor, "It is revolting to my conscience," to mention such a situation which cannot be seen as appropriate in this modern time.

Asked whether the Islamic religion does not frown against child marriage, Fogam replied thus:

"Religion is a cover for those who do this. I heard a muslim scholar saying that it is not only inappropriate considering the puberty period, but also that the child should be capable of consenting. Can a 13-year old consent to a marriage? It goes beyond religion.""

"His marriage to a 13-year old Egyptian girl after allegedly paying a bride price of 100,000 US dollars (N15 million) in a marriage ceremony which took place in Abuja because Egyptian laws prohibit marrying minors under 18 years, sparked a nationwide protest by women groups. They demanded his recall from the Senate. Although he defended his action on the ground that the marriage is not against his religion, many people disagreed.

Some of the angry women groups referred to the scourge of Vesico Vaginal Fistula (VVF) with Nigeria having 800,000 out of the 2 million women suffering from the deadly disease globally. The VVF disease is mainly caused by early marriages to girls below 16 years.

This is according to the survey by the United Nations Fund for Population Activities (UNFPA)."