AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Richard Yarl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 05:54:52 -0800
Sunday, March 28, 1999 Published at 15:59 GMT

ANC promises social change

South Africa's President Nelson Mandela and his deputy and designated
political heir
Thabo Mbeki have launched the African National Congress' campaign for June's
general elections.  Unveiling the ANC's policies at a rally in
Johannesburg's Soweto
township, Thabo Mbeki said the party will remain true to its promise of a "a
better life
for all".

That was the rallying cry when President Mandela came to power in 1994, and
Mr Mbeki said this time, the ANC will step up the pace of change.  President
Mandela
has made his last appearance in parliament.  He said: "We have started, we
have
made progress. What we must do now is to move forward faster.

"We must make sure more people get better houses, we must make sure more
people
get better health care.

"We must build more clinics, train more nurses, we must make sure the price
of medicine
goes down, we must build more classrooms and train more teachers to make
sure our
children get a better education."

Thabo Mbeki ended the speech by saying the party is committed to faster job
creation.

BBC Johannesburg Correspondent Greg Barrow says the ANC has been criticised
for
promising too much in its first term of government, but it appears no less
ambitious this
time around.

Mandelas steal the show

Although Mr Mbeki did most of the talking, President Mandela stole the show
with an
unscheduled appearance and brought the crowd to their feet, singing and
waving ANC
flags.

The president, who has already handed over the party leadership to his
deputy, is
retiring from government.

At the rally, Mr Mbeki was drowned out again halfway into his speech when
President
Mandela's ex-wife Winnie Madikizela-Mandela arrived and was cheered by the
crowd.

"Viva the president of the African National Congress Women's League," Mr
Mbeki said
in acknowledgement of her arrival.