AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Peter R. Munoz" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 15:17:59 -0500
From: Mayor Bauman

It is neither the policy nor the practice of the City of Madison to tolerate
racial profiling by the Police Department or any of its other agencies.
Therefore, I was surprised and appalled to find out that flyers which
recommended the use of racial profiling were distributed by some members of
the Drug Task Force.  These flyers had been obtained from another
jurisdiction during a training session in the early nineties and were
erroneously distributed.  The Police Department retrieved the flyers as soon
as they were brought to its attention, and issued a public apology for their
distribution.

On behalf of the Police Department, the City of Madison, and myself, I want
to be on record that racial profiling is not an acceptable practice in our
community.  I am personally committed to ensure that the Police Department,
and all other City agencies, are responsive to the needs of our growing
Latino population in a positive fasion.  An important part of this
commitment is to ensure that our Police officers and City employees are
representative of our increasingly diverse community.  This is essential to
promote positive interactions and collaborations.  For example, through this
collaboration Captain Luis Yudice was able to help the Department develop
its exemplary policy on immigration and enforcement.

I hope this unfortunate incident does not detract from our continuing
efforts to ensure that the Latino Community is well-served in Madison.  This
community is a vital part of what makes Madison such a great place to live,
learn, work and play.  An error was made by members of the Police
Department.  This was unfortunate and should not have happened.  We must,
however, acknowledge the error, apologize for it, and move forward to ensure
that we work together.  To this end, please do not hesitate to contact me
directly, or through my assistant Peter Munoz.

Sincerely,

Susan J. M. Bauman, Mayor