AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Kumapayi, Ray" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:48:44 -0600
I was hoping this issue could be laid to rest and I would not need to
respond or add my piece since there are so many peace-keepers amongst us but
it seems the wound is much deeper than I thought.  I have received many
calls over this piece through last night and even as we speak and not
pleasant ones either, ranging from Aggo's purported envy to threats of
Nigerians request for a union meeting to discuss if membership in the AAM
was any longer beneficial if its (AAM) goal is sectionalism and
discrimination within the ranks.
Isn't this very scary; what we have put our hands together to build we will
turn around to destroy?
I have also received issues regarding the fact that reactions to Aggo's
piece was not solely based on the fact that he posted a reporter's (or a
particular media) viewpoint but rather on perpetual postings of unappealing
news of a particular country, Nigeria and the very most reverend news of
another, Ghana.  In many Nigerians eyes, Aggo seems to have a history of
bashing Nigeria.  Is this so?
If the idea of the postings is to is to stir up controversy it has certainly
done that and more.  It has done damage that may not be easily reparable
even though the postings may well be within the rules of the network. If
there are no hidden agenda, I am sure this situation was not what was
desired or was it? - a host of people who will now start to view Aggo with
dis-trust & disdain talk less of the people who have now taken his banner
and thrust their fingers into the eyes of a nation of Nigeria and insults
every 100million of them and wonder why emotions are rife when emotions are
but an inherent and acceptable part of human psyche, of which we are. I
don't know where Peter Amakobe's head was!!!!  I was personally shocked to
see that writing! And people of this network actually expect Nigerians to
take this lying down; a terrible blow has been dealt, and the ensuing result
is that it is very unfortunate that Aggo has definitely lost a host of
followers and discouraged many in the plight of Pan-Africanism.
What Aggo has done knowingly or unknowingly amounts to the very method the
whites used to belittle every African-American; post enough of blacks being
arrested on television and in the media in general and you end up with a
bunch of whites who only see blacks as thieves, rogues, criminals etc.  It
amounts to indoctrination of the very people that is professed to be served.

I personally wondered why all Aggo had to post on Nigerian was dirt,
however, I gave it time, hoping he would sooner or later post some good
news.  The same BBC, for example, constantly reports on re-building of
Nigeria by its internationally-watched onward move to democracy.  Surely,
this is worthy of our network!
Ironically, at this time that Aggo has offended so many, the
praise-worshippers will continue to carry him high on their shoulders in
support of the Nigeria-bashings, every single one of them with their own
personal agenda.
Don't forget the old adage; a tree does not make a forest....but a tree can
burn it! It only takes one person to instigate the destruction of this
set-up;
as you can all see, people are beginning to defect from the network.  If
this is what we all want so it shall be!  If it's not, we can turn towards a
brighter future together!
Aggo, please be leary of saying that a sit-down with Mabel will resolve a
"Nigerian-Ghana rivalry" as you put it - for there is no "Nigerian-Ghana
rivalry" (as far as I know).  I certainly do not have any rivalry with any
Ghanaian.  Please refer to your situation in the future as Aggo-Mabel or
Mabel-Aggo rivalry, again if there is one! At this point, we cannot afford
any other mis-understandings.
Aggo, as a former President of AAM I am sure you know that what is expected
of you is great.  Your actions or none-thereof will always be closely
scrutinized, so let this be a learning experience; a timely intervention by
you could have saved us a lot!

Now the Nigerian community has this issue to deal with - here's hoping we
can quickly resolve it.

All said and done, the unscrupulous ones achieved their
goal; dirt was kicked in Nigeria's face.  But NIGERIANS are a proud people
and big enough to forgive!  For those who it pains to hear it, we will say
it again, NIGERIA is the GIANT of AFRICA with arms outstretched to support
our fellow Africans.

I must salute people like Ben Weller and a host of others who always
intervene amicably to steer us back on course.  I know we will climb over
this hill and I hope many lessons have been learnt - Peter, you hear?  A
careful watch will now be thrust upon what we post by all and sundry, I
assure you!  I pray we all recover from this.

This writer is a proud patriotic NIGERIAN and will always defend its
honor!!!!