AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
PETER W VAKUNTA <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:24:12 -0500
** Please visit our website: http://www.africanassociation.org **

I agree, Salifou, that democratic tenets should be upheld at all times.
What makes the implementation of democratic tenets a challenge in Africa
is our heritage : the sacrilization of traditional/political power, the
age-old African mentality of being your brother's keeper (which breeds
nepotism and corruption in the political arena), greasing of palms for a
job done, etc. You know what I mean?
We have to take a hard look at these issues and objectively too, if we
are really interested in salvaging our CONTINENT. No double speak, brother.

PETER W.VAKUNTA
DEPARTMENT OF FRENCH AND ITALIAN
UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN MADISON
602 VAN HISE HALL
1220 LINDEN DRIVE
MADISON WI 53706-1525
U.S.A
Office  608 262 4067
Home    608 422 6089
Cell    608 381 0407

"The heart of a fool is in his mouth, but the mouth of the wise man is
in his heart."
BENJAMIN FRANKLIN