AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fabu Phyllis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:57:53 -0500
We just had a wrap up Juneteenth meeting and discussed the fact that this
was one of the most wonderful, well attended, celebrations in 14 years.  We
had people from all over the continent of Africa, the Caribbean, the Midwest
and from various neighborhoods in Madison.  WYOU is the only T.V. station
that filmed and not one Madison t.v. station covered this historical,
cultural and family celebration.  There was plenty of joy, laughter, hope
and good will shared and we didn't have anything near the negative tv
coverage of yesterday's tragedy.  Remember the story of the attorney who was
drunk and ran into another vehicle, killing a child?  They ran indepth
articles on that story for weeks that examined several perspectives.  This
is a tragedy as well.  We are not use to family members killing each other
and holding hostages.  We may never know what happened, yet for those of us
who work, live, visit, attend programs and support the southside of Madison,
we know hope remains and will continue to grow...God willing and people
willing.  We will look for ways to show our concern for this family.  FABU