AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hedi Rudd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 15:27:12 -0500
The Spring 2003 Study Circle Round will be kicking off next week with circles at Vera Court, Hughes Place Police Station and Oakwood West.

There are openings left in the Vera Court Circle on Tuesday Evenings
from 6-8 p.m. People of color are encouraged to apply, although all who are interested are welcome.

We are excited to say that the other two circles are full and are comprised of a very diverse group of madison residents. Whereas participation from communities of color was low in the past, this round has over 60% diversity in the circle (with the higher percentage being participation from culturally diverse communities!). The hope is that with such a large number of people of color becoming involved, we will reach one of our goals which is to see new leaders emerge from communities that are in need of community and democratic representation in the Greater Madison Area.

Study Circles are groups of 15-18 individuals who come together to discuss the issue of racism and race relations in order to find a common ground and hopefully take action to improve race relations in our community. They meet, in this case, 8 times on a specific night (In this case, Tues & Thurs 6-8 and Sat 11-1) The meetings are facilitated by two trained facilitators.

To learn more about Study Circles around the nation, visit studycircles.org. They have a great site that shows the projects and initiatives that were born from the community taking active steps to engage themselves in improving race and community relations. The guide that we use during the circles, is viewable using adobe acrobat.

If you are interested in signing up for the fall round or to become in a participant in the Vera Court Circle, please contact Hedi Rudd at 608-266-4442 or [log in to unmask]

Thanks!
Hedi

Hedi Rudd
Mayor's Office
Study Circles on Race Program Coordinator
210 Martin Luther King Jr., Blvd Room 403
Madison, WI 53703-3346

608-266-4611 Phone
608-267-8671 Fax

"You keep plugging away--that's the way social change
takes place. That's the way every social change in history
has taken place: by a lot of people, who nobody ever heard
of, doing work."
Noam Chomsky