AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Uche Okpara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 16:54:33 -0600
** Please visit our website: http://www.africanassociation.org **

Hi Mathew,

See the CIA's definition of terrorism
(http://www.cia.gov/terrorism/faqs.html):

QUOTE
How do you define terrorism?

The Intelligence Community is guided by the definition of terrorism
contained in Title 22 of the US Code, Section 2656f(d):

—The term “terrorism” means premeditated, politically motivated violence
perpetrated against noncombatant targets by subnational groups or
clandestine agents, usually intended to influence an audience.

—The term “international terrorism” means terrorism involving the territory
or the citizens of more than one country.

—The term “terrorist group” means any group that practices, or has
significant subgroups that practice, international terrorism.
UNQUOTE

Who decides which group is "national" and which is "subnational"? Who
decides what a "clandestine agent" is? The fact that their definition of
terrorism is dependent on a group makes it highly subjective. This
definition was crafted to absolve the US of her terrorist activities in
Vietnam (killing innocent civilians) and Japan (annihilating more than
100,000 civilians in seconds). Recall that during the struggles in apartheid
South Africa, the ANC was labeled a terrorist group by the US State
Department.

Today, the suicide bombing orchestrated by Palestinian groups is promptly
labeled "terrorist activities", however, the massacre of Palestinian
civilians by Israeli helicopter gunships is labeled "self-defense". I
believe that if the apartheid regime in South Africa was still in force
today, Nelson Mandela would be called a terrorist master-mind by the blokes
in the US State Department.

A more accurate definition is given by Merriam-Webster's online dictionary
(http://www.merriam-webster.com/):
Terrorism: "the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion".
Terror(4): "violence (as bombing) committed by groups in order to intimidate
a population or government into granting their demands".

Regards,
Uche.