AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dzigbodi Akyea <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 12:37:51 -0500
The U.S. business influence on U.S. foreign policy did not start with Iraq
and will not end with Iraq.  The following is a quote from former Marine
Corps. Gen. Smedley D. Butler, whose 1931 statement from James Loewen's
national bestseller "Lies My Teacher Told Me." has become famous:"

Quote:

"I helped make Mexico safe for American oil interests in 1914.  I helped
make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to
collect revenue in.  I helped Purify Nicaragua for the international banking
House of Brown Brothers....I brought light to the Dominican Republic for
American sugar interests in 1916.  I helped make Honduras 'right' for
American fruit companies in 1903.  Looking back on it, I might have given Al
Capone a few hints."

You want to hear horror stories?  Don't go all the way to Iraq.  I can
supply you with a bunch from Dane County Human Service, the Juvenile Justice
system the Adoption system.

If you want to juice it up a bit to rival Eason Jordan's, take a trip to New
Orleans and ride with the police for a few days.

The news they've kept to themselves is not the horrors of Saddam's regime.
It's that of our own US of A.  Why go so far? Who was it who said that we
deserve the leaders we get, or is it we are a reflection of our leaders?

Frederick Douglas said "He is a lover of his country who rebukes and does
not excuse its sins."