AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Adelaide Fiske <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 12:23:29 -0600
I concur with you Emilie.
Adelaide F.

>>> Emilie Ngo Nguidjol <[log in to unmask]> 03/10/00 03:42PM >>>
Next time any of you posts something here in English, I'll demand its
French translation.
Following is an English translation of the poem "Femme noire, femme
Africaine" by Camara Laye.
  As someone said, "the translator is a traitor."

TO MY MOTHER

Black woman, woman of Africa, O my mother, I am thinking of you...

O Daman, O my mother, you who bore me upon your back, you who gave me suck,
you who watched over my first faltering steps, you who were the first to
open my eyes to the wonders of the earth, I am thinking of you...

Woman of the fields, woman of the rivers, woman of the great river-banks, O
my mother, I am thinking of you...

O you, Daman, O my mother, you who dried my tears you who filled my heart
with laughter, you who patiently bore with all my many moods, how I should
love to be beside you once again, to be a little child beside you!

Woman of great simplicity, woman of great resignation, O my mother I am
thinking of you...

O Daman, Daman, you of the great family of blacksmiths and goldsmiths, my
thoughts are always turning towards you, and your own thoughts accompany me
at every step. O, Daman, my mother, how I should love to be surrounded by
your loving warmth again, to be a little child beside you...

Black woman, woman of Africa, O my mother, let me thank you; thank you for
all that you have done for me, your son, who, though so far away, is still
so close to you!