AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
VERA R CROWELL <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:00:36 -0600
** Please visit our website: http://www.africanassociation.org **

Hanukkah began the night of Tuesday, December 7th. Tonight is the 7th night.

Messianic Hannukah Service

http://www.hebroots.org/hebrootsarchive/9812/9812_m.html

From: "[log in to unmask]"
To: Hebraic Heritage Newsgroup <[log in to unmask]>, Hebraic
Heritage Newsgroup 2 <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Messianic Hannukkah Home Service
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 18:21:36 -0800

From: Steven Berkowitz
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Messianic Hannukah Home Service

MESSIANIC HANUKKAH HOME SERVICE

The following is a suggested order of service to use during the
upcoming nights of Hanukkah:

a) First, set the candles ready to be lit. The shammash should always
be the highest light. Always put the candles in on the right-hand side
of the menorah. Light the candles starting on the left-hand side. The
first night there should be one candle plus the shammash, the second
night two candles plus the shammash, etc.

b) Light the Shammash (Servant) candle saying, "Yeshua said, 'I am the
light of the world! (The one following me, by no means will walk in
the darkness, but will have the light of life)' ". [Yohanan (John)
8:12; 9.5] Or one could say, "In him was life; and the life was the
light of humanity...." [Yohanan (John) 1:4-9] We are also reminded:
"The people who sat in darkness saw a great light..... ...a light to
enlighten the nations and the glory of your people Israel." [Matt.
4:16; Isa. 9:1; Lk. 2:29-32]

c) With the Shammash burning recite (all together): Blessed are you
Adonai our G-d, king of the universe, Who has sanctified us by His
commandments, and commanded us to let our light shine before others,
so that they may see our good works (mitzvot), and glorify our Father
in Heaven. Blessed are you, Adonai our G-d, King of the universe, Who
has performed miracles for our people in those days at this time.

On the first night add: Blessed are you, Adonai our G-d, King of
the universe, for giving us life, for sustaining us, and for
helping us to reach this season of celebration.

d) Then, light the candle(s) with the Shammash candle.

e) With the candles burning have individual family members read the
following verses designated for each night of the festival:

1) ...G-d said, "Let there be light!" And there was light. [Gen.
1:1-5]

2) The L-rd is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear.
[Ps.27:1] Arise! shine! for your light has come! The glory of the
L-rd rises upon you! House of Yaakov (Jacob), come and let us
walk in the light of the L-rd! [Isa. 60:1; 2:5]

3) Your word is a lamp to my feet, a light for my path. The
precepts of the L-rd are right, giving joy to the heart (mind);
the command of the L-rd is radiant, giving light to the eyes.
[Ps. 119:105; 19:9]

4) I, the L-rd, have called you in righteousness; I will take
hold of your hand. I will keep you and will make you to be a
covenant for the people and a light for the nations. [Isa. 42:5]
Light is shed upon the righteous; and joy on the upright of
heart. [Ps. 97:11-12]

5) You are the light of the world.... Let your light shine before
people, so that they may see your good works and glorify your
Father in heaven. [Mt. 5:14-16] For the path of the righteous is
as the light of dawn, that shines brighter and brighter until
full day. [Prov. 4:18]

6) Send forth Your light and your truth; they will guide me; they
will bring me to Your holy mountain, to the place where you
dwell. [Ps.43:3] For these commands are a lamp, this teaching is
a light, and corrections of discipline are the way of life.
[Prov. 6:23]

7) For with You is the fountain of life; by Your light do we see
light. [Ps. 36:9] For You , the L-rd, make my lamp burn; my G-d
lights up my darkness. [Ps. 18:28] Every good giving and every
perfect gift is coming downfrom the Father of light, with Whom
has no place of change or shadow of turning. [James 1:17-18]

8) See, G-d does all these things to man....to turn back his soul
from the pit, that the light of life may shine on him. [Eeyov
(Job) 33:29-30] No longer shall you need the sun....for the L-rd
shall be your everlasting light, and your G-d will be your
glory... [Is. 60:19-20] ....the city did not need the sun or the
moon for light, since it was lit by the radiant glory of G-d and
the Lamb was a lighted torch for it..." [Rev. 21:22-27]

f) Sing Hanukkah songs such as "Maoz Tzur" or other songs celebrating
the Light of the world.

g) Finally, eat potato latkes and doughnuts, play games, enjoy your
fellowship in our Messiah!

To educate, train and equip for study both the Jew and
Non-Jew in the Rich Hebraic Heritage of our Faith.

Please visit the Hebraic Roots Global Network
Web Site located at:

http://www.hebroots.org/