AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
African2000 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
African2000 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 19:31:34 -0600
ABIDJAN, 25 January 2000 (IRIN) - The Cameroon government has denied
reports by Nigeria's Chief of Army Staff, Major General Victor Malu, that
its troops regularly fire at Nigerian positions on the Bakassi peninsula
and violate its airspace.
"I wasn't aware of these reports until now but I can tell you we have not
fired on our brothers and have not overflown Nigerian territory," a
Cameroonian government minister told IRIN on Tuesday.
Malu made the accusations to reporters in Lagos. He said that incidents of
provocative firing and overflying take place "almost every 15 days,"
according to AFP.
"We have no interest in fighting, we want justice not war," the minister
said, referring to the dispute between the two countries over ownership of
the oil-rich Bakassi peninsula which is now under arbitration at the
International Court of Justice in the Hague.
Both countries have troops in the disputed territory.[ENDS]
[IRIN-WA: Tel: +225 217366 Fax: +225 216335 e-mail: [log in to unmask] ]
[This item is delivered in the English service of the UN's IRIN
humanitarian information unit, but may not necessarily reflect the views
of the United Nations. For further information, free subscriptions, or
to change your keywords, contact e-mail: [log in to unmask] or Web:
http://www.reliefweb.int/IRIN . If you re-print, copy, archive or re-post
this item, please retain this credit and disclaimer.]
Copyright (c) UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs 2000
Subscriber: [log in to unmask]: IRIN-WA