From:
Karen D'Andrea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 10:29:18 EST

Hi everyone,
I thought I would let you all know about a wonderful MD experience I had
yesterday. I went to Beth Isreal Hospital in Boston and saw Dr.Ciaran Kelly.
He has been mentioned on this site before, which is how I found him.

I have been gluten-free for 7 months, and recently had negative blood tests
from the University of Maryland Celiac Testing Center. I had seen another GI
doctor, who kind of blew me off, diagnosing me with "diarrhea", and who
wanted me to do a gluten challenge. I tried the challenge for 3 days, and
became so ill that I had to stop. It took a month to feel better.

So I was apprehensive about the appointment with Dr. Kelly. First of all, he
was warm and kind and had a great sense of humor. He welcomed the presence of
my husband (who I wanted there because my brain is still a little fuzzy and I
wasn't sure I'd remember everything).

Most importantly, he listened respectfully to everything I had to say, was
obviously very up to date on Celiac Disease, asked good questions, and taught
me things I hadn't learned about CD.

Lastly, he explained why he would NOT necessarily have me do a biopsy and a
gluten challenge. He said that I already know for sure that it is gluten
which causes the symptoms. He said that he could do a biopsy before
attempting a gluten challenge, because it is possible it would not be
completely normal despite being gf for so long. He said I could do a gluten
challenge and then a biopsy, but asked if it was so important to me to have a
definite diagnosis that I would put myself through that misery for weeks or
months. He left the decision up to me. I chose to stay gf and not do further
testing. He said that he has people do a gluten challenge when it is unclear
that it is gluten which causes the symptoms- in other words, they can
tolerate the challenge without becoming ill. He also does the biopsy (and
bloodwork) when someone comes for an initial diagnosis and is eating a
regular diet.

This seems so sensible to me! I know that whether to be tested is an ongoing
question for many on this site and this seems like a really logical (and
caring) solution. He is absolutely right, I would not resume gluten even if I
didn't test positive, because it makes me so ill, so why go through the
challenge? I have been gluten free for 7 months and not even tempted to eat
the bread and pastry products which used to be the mainstay of my diet.

Finally, anyway, (sorry this is so long), I would recommend Dr. Kelly to
anyone seeking excellent care. I have been a Nurse Practitioner for 28 years,
and I can honestly say that the care I received yesterday was as good as it
gets. Karen in Massachusetts