Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 16:20:03 -0800

I didn't feel like dealing with Skamania Lodge this weekend and so went to
Hood River Hotel: they have one of the two best Italian restaurants in that
hotel I've encountered, and when the waitress came up I began: "I have the
most common genetic dietary problem . . ." She immediately replied: "Wheat
allergy?" Which may not be quite accurate, but is way better than most. She
said they get a lot of that there, and they were adept at working with it.
They also had a lot of stuff that was not pasta based, and later the owner
told me to bring my own pasta and they'd be happy to work with that. SAid
they had done that a lot. Great Duck B something that ended with an "ai"
something else :) Sorry I forgot. Of course I did make of myself what the
Skamania Lodge had warned me about :)

Pasquale's also had the best vinegarette salad dressing I've tasted. I
usually don't include it in my favorites. If you're curious they explained
the secret: Get a good balsamic vinegar that is five to seven years old and
only use a little, with a lot of good virgin olive oil. My guess from the
taste is that it was greatly helped by the spices. They had not stinted there.

I did enjoy the laughs several of us seemed to get from the reply from
Skamania Lodge on the Colombia River. But, to be fair to Skamania Lodge and
their "Glutton free" eating, they did follow up with this email, which I
didn't get till we returned home after the weekend:

From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Glutton free meals at Skamania Lodge

Sandy,
Thanks for the information. I have a copy of the list you sent me and I'll
distribute it to the Food and Beverage Staff here at the Lodge. We will be
able to accommodate your dietary needs here. We rarely use prepared food
products in our kitchen. Most everything is made from scratch. Email me a
few days before you arrive and I'll arrange any special meals that you
want. Our current menu will satisfy most of your needs, we will just make
some modifications.

Thank you for the information,Kelly Cuff

I would probably feel pretty good about trying them after that, and it is
beautiful there. -vance