From:
Jodie Regan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 22:22:46 -0800

Are Oats Really Okay?

Of the 43 Responses that I received:
31 said NO OATS
12 said YES

The NO OATS people had much to say about most farms rotating crops
between oats and wheat. Wheat seeds are left behind and they sprout
along with the oat crop, thus, contamination. Also, processing plants
use the same mills for wheat and oats.  In addition, the NO OATS people
said that we celiacs can be 'symptom free' while silent damage is taking
place in our intestines which opens the door to celiac-related
illnesses/diseases.  Many of the 31 NO OATS people had tried oats. Some
had severe reactions, some had mild reactions.

The YES OATS people were clear that they ate only 'organic' oats or the
more expensive brands. This would help reduce the risk of crop
contamination. One 'extremely sensitive celiac' voted YES for non
contaminated oats.

And there you have it!

Regis, I think I'll use one of my life lines and trust 'the audience'
... no oats for my daughter, final answer.
(a little humor ... apologies to those who don't watch tv)

Thanks to all who responded!

~ jodie in northern california