From:
Panish Associates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 20:54:12 -0700

My 88 year old mother was diagnosed with celiac/sprue in the early sixties
at the Mayo Clinic.  She was on a gluten-free diet for over thirty years
while living in Iowa most of that time.  Four years ago she moved to the
San Francisco bay area and lives in a senior residence.  About two years
ago she decided to go off the diet little by little.  Her doctor gave his
OK, as long as she felt allright with it.  I was not well-informed about
celiac disease and didn't try to stop her.

Recently she has had a series of medical problems which are baffling.
However, her only presenting medical problem is tachycardia.  She has
fallen a couple of times.   A few weeks ago she began showing signs of
extreme fatigue, and an almost catatonic like appearance.  Her memory
problem has gone from mild to severe during the past two years, and she is
depressed some of the time.  In addition, her hearing has deteriorated.
She started going from constipation to diarrahea.

It dawned on me two weeks ago that this might be celiac-related, but most
of the medical people just nod without comment. She was hospitalized twice
recently.  Once due to very rapid heartbeat and once due to high fever.  A
gastroenterologist was called in because of blood in her stool.  She was
tested and found to have cecal vascular extasia.  She was also found to be
anemic.

She takes medicine for the tachycardia (rapid heart beat) and for a low
thyroid problem.

During this time I called the Celiac support group representative  in the
Berkeley/Oakland area and was given the name of a doctor. I've been reading
about celiac disease on your web site.  We have an appointment in 3 weeks.
But I really need information about geriatic problems and celiac disease
before that time.

  Does anyone have experience with this.  She also has had an increase in
osteoporosis.  I'm afraid her entire body is in crisis from the gluten. I'm
wondering if the tachycardia is caused by the fact that her body is under
such terrible stress.  Because she lives in a group situation, it is
impossible to keep crackers, etc. away, although the kitchen staff is doing
a great job with the food at meals.  She has someone staying with her at
night temporarily and diarrhea some of the time.

I'd appreciate any information about older people and celiac disease
including what it can do to  memory, etc.

Thank you,
Anna Belle Panish

Panish Associates
Paul Panish